The Boston Massacre

We gasped in horror as the news unfolded Monday afternoon.  The triumph and anticipation of 20,000 elite athletes crossing a finish line was shattered by the malevolent behavior of anonymous cowards.

I'm especially troubled that this has occurred while our nation is still crawling out from underneath the shadow of Sandy Hook. And I find myself saying, "Really?  Again?"   In the aftermath of that Connecticut tragedy, we so desperately wanted to believe that evil of this nature was rare on American soil, or that it could be prevented with new gun legislation or increased security. Apparently not, as more trauma and mind-numbing heartache was unleashed on an unsuspecting and innocent public; this time on a Bostonian stage, with a 1/2 million spectators.

I join those of you searching for answers, and find a degree of refuge in a Psalmist's prayer penned thousands of years ago.   We forget that our generation is not the first to wrestle with exhausting contradictions between righteousness and evil.  Read with me, and find solace.

Psalm 55 (select verses)  
"Listen to my prayer, O God, do not ignore my plea; hear me and answer me. 
Fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed me. 
I said, "Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest. 
I would flee far away and stay in the desert; 
I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and storm" 

Apparently I'm not alone in my desire to run and hide while clamping my hands over my ears muttering, "not listening...not listening..."; it's an age-old characteristic of humanity.  But then I see how swiftly the author turns his focus at this point and becomes an active participant defending truth and abhorring evil; he is no longer a bystander, but has now entered the battle and pleads with the Lord for justice: 

"Lord, confuse the wicked, confound their words, for I see violence and strife in the city.  Day and night they prowl about on its walls; malice and abuse are within it.  Destructive forces are at work in the city; threats and lies never leave its streets. 

"But as for me, I trust in you."

This stark reality brings me crashing to my knees.  I am truly helpless apart from His overarching omnipotence.   And I can only utter, "God have mercy on our city streets.  Evil seems to abound for this brief season, but I trust in you."

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete