“What's So ‘BASIC’ About This Health Care?”

As the mother of four, I’ve personally had dozens of pre-and post-natal check-ups and hospital visits. Likewise, I’ve been to multiple doctors’ offices, ER facilities, labs and clinics with my children, and yes, even had to call 911 twice. In addition, my father is a retired orthopedic surgeon who was forced to relocate his practice and his family coast-to-coast because of skyrocketing medical malpractice insurance costs.

I’m not an expert, but I’ve certainly seen something of the health care system from many sides. So, as a woman, don’t tell me that government-subsidized contraceptives and abortions comprise my “basic health care.”

Instead, allow me to provide a snapshot of urgent health care issues impacting my gender:
  • Heart disease is the leading cause of death of American women, killing more than 1/3 of us. Over 200,000 women die each year from heart attacks. (1)
  • It’s estimated that there will be over 226, 000 new female cases and even deaths from breast cancer in the United States in 2012 alone. (2)
  • Osteoporosis – 68% of the 44 million Americans threatened with this bone-density loss condition are women. (3)
  • Twelve million women are affected by a depressive disorder each year – double the number of men. (4) (Ironically, a 2008 study of women in Norway concluded: “...young adult women who undergo induced abortion may be at increased risk for subsequent depression.”) (5)
To put it candidly: please don’t insult my feminine dignity by reducing my medical needs to the ability to “plan” a pregnancy and snuff out the life of my pre-born baby.

Superseding even these truths is my own constitutionally protected Judeo-Christian convictions regarding the sanctity of life and religious liberty. Abortion and abortifacients directly contradict my belief in the sacredness of every life as decreed by an omnipotent and loving Creator. I am called to “speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute.” (Proverbs 31:8) Therefore, as a woman of faith, I will not promote, support, or fund such “health care.”

I fear for this nation and agonize with the prophet Isaiah, “Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.” (Isaiah 5:20)

May God have mercy on America. And may women across her great shores have the strength to stand and defend their beliefs in the marketplace of ideas. I, for one, will.

(1) http://www.womenheart.org/resources/cvdfactsheet.cfm
(2) http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/breast 
(3) http://women.webmd.com/features/5-top-female-health-concern
(4) http://women.webmd.com/features/5-top-female-health-concern
(5) http://abortionrisks.org/index.php?title=Abortion-Related_Depression#Abortion-Related_Depression

No comments:

Post a Comment