May-hem!

So...are you feeling it yet?  The harried, hectic, near chaotic pace of May?  Every mom of school-aged children knows the feeling.  As the academic year winds down, the activities, obligations and year-end celebrations ramp up.

Your calendar is full:  classroom parties, concerts, spring plays and art shows.  Baseball, soccer and track tournaments.  Then add in the academic stress of tri-fold projects, classroom presentations, term papers and scholarship deadlines for secondary students.  And if you dare have a student who's graduating....double everything and top it off with a heavy weight of anxiety about the future.

And while these activities and events are all wonderful (who doesn't love sitting in chairs half our size at a Mother's Day Tea!?), we're exhausted.  Exhausted because these activities are added on top of an already-overloaded calendar filled with the mundane tasks of laundry, doctor's appointments, haircuts and grocery shopping.

For me, I've added the reality that in the next two weeks I'll be tying up 3+ years of ministry leadership here at Family Talk.   So yes, I'm easily overwhelmed right now.  Busy.  Stressed.  A near frenetic pace.

That's why I must consciously monitor the frenzy.  I must constantly fight to restore a sense of balance and rest to my soul.   Let's face it:  us multi-tasking "Martha" women have an especially hard time laying down the schedule and soaking in a "Mary' moment at the feet of Jesus.  (Luke 10:38-42)

Perhaps that's why I've worn out Track #6 on my new Firm Foundation CD.  Two-three times a day I play this song and let the truth of these lyrics wash over me in the car, on my IPod, throughout our walls at home as I'm making dinner:

Be still, my soul, the Lord is on thy side
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain
Leave to thy God to order and provide
In every change He faithful will remain
 
In you I rest, in You I found my hope
In you I trust, You never let me go
I place my life within your hands alone
Be still, my soul

Take a few minutes with me right now and find rest for your soul: Be Still My Soul by Kari Jobe.  It's a sure cure for the mayhem that this month brings for moms.




No comments:

Post a Comment