- That unsolicited “sext” from their classmate attempting to cyber bully the girl that sits next to them in Spanish class.
- A 10-20% reduced brain size due to overexposure to media and Internet.
- A lowered ability for creativity, especially in English class.
- Sleepless nights due to “hypertexting” as the phone vibrates under their pillow all night.
- 9 hours a day of recreational media stimulation
- The possibility of being denied entry to law school in a few years, as 40% of those institutions will check their social media pages before accepting him/ her as a student.
And oh, BTW…. assure them they’re not the “only 14-yr-old in America without one!” My son is the other one.
For more encouragement to parents of teens, check out Dr. Dobson’s powerful new interview “From Santa to Sexting: Protecting Your Middle-Schooler” with Dr. Brenda Hunter and Kristen Blair.